Monday, May 4, 2009

Product Placement in the Cereal Isle


I went to the grocery store tonight and as I was buying my usual breakfast cereal I noticed the well-planned and deliberate product placement on the shelves. The more flavorful, sugary cereals marketed toward children were on the lower shelves where they were in reach of young kids. These boxes tended to be brightly colored with cartoon characters on them. The more plain, healthier cereals where placed higher on the shelves where more adults would see them and grab for them. I know when I go to the store, I never know what cereal I am going to choose beforehand. I assume product placement and the amount of visibility can influence people's purchase decisions. Marketers want their products to be very visible so that adults and children will make impulse decisions on products they otherwise might have overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment